Below you can find a list of craft & design organisations and individuals relating to the Canberra part of the visit to Australia by Vicki Halper a USA based Smithsonian Senior Fellow.
Her visit was made possible through funding from the Australia Council. Her dense Canberra itinerary reflects the surprisingly active and rich design scene in this city, however one has to know where to look or whom to contact to get a true sense of it.
Her visit coincided with a symposium about Design education at the Australian National University and the ‘City of Design’ talkfest at CraftACT. Vicki’s contribution to both events were very well received and stimulated informed discussions about important contemporary issues in the craft/design field. I am particularly grateful for the time she spend with our design arts students.
Craft Australia, Host organisation
School of Art, Australian National University
- Design Arts coordinator, Gilbert Riedelbauch, His Website
- Ceramics – Janet DeBoos
- Ceramics – Greg Daly
- Furniture Design – Greg St John
- Glass –Richard Whiteley
- Glass – Nadège Desgenétez
- Gold & Silversmithing – Johannes Kuhnen, Workshop Bilk
- Textile Design – Valerie Kirk
- Art Theory – Anne Brennan
- Professor David Williams
The following speakers presented at the ‘DesignPlan ACT‘ a discussion about design education:
- Chair – Catrina Vignando, Craft Australia
- University of Sth Australia – Dr. Andrew Welch, Studio Head of Jewellery + Metal
- University of Canberra – Dr. Eugenie Keefer Bell, Associate Professor of Architecture, Faculty of Arts and Design
- Fiona Dace Lynn – Canberra Institute of technology
CraftACT – craft and design centre
- Avi Amesbury – executive director
- Diana Hare – Curator and exhibition manager
- Amy Kerr – Communications and Program Coordinator
- Professional Members folios
The following presented at the ‘City of Design’ talkfest at CraftACT:
- Chair – Barbara McConchie, Manager, School of Art, ANU
- Rebecca Eggleston, Form, Western Australia
- Ann Jackle, Executive Director, Canberra Glassworks
- Dr. Michell Whitelaw, University of Canberra
- Pamille Berg, consulting Pty Lty.
- Johnathan Efkapidis, Director, Molonglo Group
- George, Thompson, Graduate University of Canberra
- Ann Jackle, Executive Director,
- Clare Belfrage, Artistic Director
Gallery and Workshop Bilk contemporary jewelery and glass & metal objects
Here are a few links to makers who were mentioned frequently:
and Gallery Metalab, Sydney
I tried my best to put this list together for Vicki. If you think I have forgotten someone she has met or should know, please let me know.
It was a great pleasure to meet and get to know Vicki during her stay in Canberra.